30.4.07

Yesterday, my life decided to pick me up, shake me around, set me down for a moment and then slam me against the wall...only to be picked up and brushed off again.

As I first laid eyes on the car, while everyone was surrounding it, I thought I was being punished. I had enjoyed my day so much. The sun was pouring through the blossoming trees and the weather was just right. Preston was keeping up with me for once and no one was on the trail. I was comfortable enough that I actually began to skip and dance along instead of walk. I embarrassed myself once in front of a few teenagers but as I thought about it, they weren't having nearly as much fun as I was. 'Tis a shame. I came across a lady with a little terrier who was smoking a cigarette and could have chosen to wear clothes which flattered her body a bit better for her age and shape. I let Preston mingle very briefly only because I can't stand the smell. As I walked down off of the trail I was so happy! Ah, what a beautiful hike it had been. I noticed my window was open to my car and thought "That's peculiar, I'd never forget to roll up my window." As I got closer I noticed glass on the ground and some concerned strangers. Lo and behold, someone had shattered my window so they could take off with my purse. First thought "Cruel world."

But, I am so blessed. A man approached me informing me he had already called the police for me as I noticed another car had also been broken into. He tried comforting me as I went into shock. His wife vented about the scum in this world. The poorly dressed woman, her children, husband and dog arrived. Their comments first upset me because they were glad that their own vehicle, parked next to mine, had been spared. Both families began asking me what I had in my purse which would be of value to me. I right away realized I had only 2 dollars and what I wanted back the most were my pictures in my wallet. The wife then told me she and her daughters would search the entire park for my purse because they would have most likely dumped it out on their way out. I felt so violated. The first man let me call my mother. She was upset, but glad I was OK. Mom arrived repeating the phrase 'What scumbags.' Chatter Chatter. The 3 daughters and wife return running with my purse in hand. I hug the daughter and am amazed at how much these complete strangers cared enough to search for this inanimate object for me. All is intact, but no wallet.

The first officer arrives. (Munroe Falls Police) She takes down all of my information and after the first man describes the suspects I recognize one description. It sounds exactly like the same man whose eyes followed me as I was putting down my purse and getting Preston out prior to my hike. Anger. 2nd police officer arrives. They check for finger prints and record them for further investigation. Grawl-I want to help solve the crime! Turns out, there are 2 black males who have been hopping from one metropark to another snatching peoples purses in hopes to find cash or bank cards. Poorly dressed woman and husband talk to me much throughout this entire situation, sharing stories with my mother about being robbed before, etc. The other woman who had her purse stolen arrived much later and she had much more in her purse which really put her in a very screwed position.

After about 2 hours my mom let me take the van home so she could clean out the glass and talk to the officers a bit more. I decided to go to Val's Birthday Party to cheer me up. Right before walking out the door we receive a phone call. It's the park ranger. My wallet was found. By who? None other than the other lady who lost her purse. What's missing? My two measly dollars.

Complete strangers smashed my window assuming I was probably some rich daughter with a fancy car and plenty of credit cards. I hope I pissed them off. I also hope they enjoyed my cinnamon gum that they stole.

Complete strangers went out of their way to call the police for me, comfort me, and search an entire park for my belongings...not to mention stick around much longer than they even needed to.

I hardly ever pray in public, but my first instinct after seeing what happened-I froze, clasped my hands together and looked up, asking for a miracle. I know it's just a small theft but little things mean a lot to me. I didn't stop praying the entire time, between the tears and spitting out my S.S. and correct spelling of my name..yadda yadda.

Damn. I'm impressed.

I feel as if I need to keep myself in check and if I'm not careful, life will throw at me a crazy situation which is fatal to my future. So, just stay on the right path. Embrace life's beauty and be thankful that not all is lost. Even if there are many cruel humans in this world, I learned the good outnumber the bad.

I love you.

No comments: